Date:Friday September 3 2010
We caught up with the editor of Vital Stevenage ahead of tomorrow's trip to Broadhall Way to get the lowdown on Stevenage's season.
Here's what was said.
1) Being the league's new boys, give us a quick run down on Stevenage F.C...
We're a new club (formed in '76 - as Stevenage Borough) and rose through the non league pyramid in the 90s.
We won the Conference in our 2nd season - 1996 - but we're denied promotion due to ground facilities. A mere 14 years later, we've made it into the league! We're captained by former Crewe player Mark Roberts.
2) You rubbed out the 'Borough' from your name during the summer, was it a popular decision amongst fans or just a bit of a publicity stunt?
Somewhwere between the two. A bit pointless as far as I'm concerned, but pretty harmless.
3) So, how has your first month as a Football League club gone?
4) How do you see your season going from here? Seeing so many former Conference sides climbing the leagues recently must give you cause for optimism.
I think we'll stay up. Beyond that, it's hard to tell. I'll be optimistic and say we'll finish top half.
5) Anthony Elding played for both clubs; how's he viewed by Boro fans? Got to say he didn't make too many friends with us, still irks that we paid £150,000 for him!
He was good for us. He certainly didn't lack self confidence, either.
6) On to Saturday, who are your star players? The ones we should look out for on Saturday?
Griffin has 3 goals already, but we're not sure if he's fit. Michael Bostwick is our best player. He's usually in central midfield, but is a very good centre half, too.
7) And where does it start to fall apart? Any players you'd drive to their next club free of charge?
No, they won the league last year (most of them) so they are heroes.
8) It'll be our first visit to Broadhall Way, anything we should know? Places to eat and drink?
The away end is 1400 all seater. The clubhouse might be open to away fans (it was throughout our non league days). It's at the away end of the ground. Our Mutual Friend is only a ten minute walk away (no food there). Endless drive thru's and fast food places within 10 minutes of the ground.
9) What's your knowledge/views of Crewe Alexandra? Be honest, we won't be offended!
Aren't you a big club for this league? In the Championship not so long ago? And you produce good young players that make it in the top flight. What are you doing down here slumming it with little old non league Stevenage?
10) How do you see Saturday going?
With only one win so far, we could use another; 2-1 to us.
A big thanks to Vital Stevenage for that!
Vital Crewe of course returned the favour and answered questions put to us by Vital Stevenage. You can see what we said [and disagree with it] on Vital Stevenage .
Date:Friday September 3 2010
Excitement builds ahead of fixtures (Tuesday June 18 2013)
Trip into the unknown for Alex (Tuesday June 18 2013)
Departures can open opportunity - Davis (Tuesday June 18 2013)
Skipper loss still expected (Tuesday June 18 2013)
Alex target joins rivals (Tuesday June 18 2013)
Defender marking time well (Monday June 17 2013)
Change of direction for Alex (Monday June 17 2013)
Crewe receive away tie (Monday June 17 2013)
Alex track defender (Friday June 14 2013)
Defender can't wait to return (Thursday June 13 2013)
|8.||deano 4 alex||4|
|12. Notts County||46||16||17||13||12||65|
|Ward: It's going to be a big test
» Bournemouth : 19/06/2013 04:04:00
|Cherries sign Ward
» Bournemouth : 19/06/2013 03:13:00
|Excitement builds ahead of fixtures release
» Crewe : 18/06/2013 21:22:00
|Trip into the unknown for Alex
» Crewe : 18/06/2013 21:15:00
|Departures can open opportunity - Davis
» Crewe : 18/06/2013 21:07:00
|Four teams off the list of first day opponents
» Doncaster : 18/06/2013 20:54:00
|SUFC Unsworth - Weir will be a big hit
» Sheff Utd : 18/06/2013 20:09:00